If you’ve decided to prioritize window replacement this year, you’ve made the right choice. But before you call your local window company for a quote, you should have a clear plan on how you want your windows to look. Here are our tips on getting your window replacement project started.
1. Make a Wish List – Start by making a list of features you want for your windows, as if money were no object. During the entire process, refer to this list and see if your resources will be able to meet your goals.
2. Take a Critical Look at Your Home – Unless you’re planning a historic home restoration, replacing your windows with the exact same units could be a missed opportunity for giving your home a makeover. Look around your home and see if there’s anything that you want to change – perhaps some areas need to be brighter, or maybe you need a more contemporary window style or color.
3. Look for Inspiration – There are several resources at your disposal if you need some inspiration. You can do it the old-fashioned way by referring to magazine clippings, or you can go online and get ideas from Pinterest and contractor blogs – like the one you’re reading right now.
4. Have an Idea Book – Make your planning organized and convenient by having everything in one place. Any sturdy notebook is fine, or you can go the paperless route by using journaling apps like Evernote to store your ideas for your replacement windows. Give yourself ample time to collect ideas – sometimes what may appeal to you now may not be as appealing a few weeks later. You can also use your ideabook to keep your contract and receipts when the project is underway.
5. Ask Input From Others – Ask your friends, family and significant others on what they think of your ideas. Brainstorming helps validate good ideas, weed out bad ones and raise concepts that you would not have thought of otherwise.
6. Use all Resources at Hand – If you still need help with finding the right windows, you have other resources at your disposal, such as our own Visualizer™, a free online tool that lets you digitally mix and match window styles and colors. Our expert consultants are also available to help you find what you need.
If you would like to know about our window styles, including specialty and casement windows, call Renewal by Andersen® of Kansas City today at (913) 956-0887 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free, in-home consultation with our home improvement experts. We serve Kansas City, MO, and nearby areas.