Renewal by Andersen’s approach to sustainable window replacement.
1. Renewing Existing Housing
- Renewal by Andersen has replaced over a million windows in over 200,000 homes. From an energy and environmental perspective, this is a significant accomplishment.
The average home uses significantly more energy and is responsible for more carbon emissions than the average automobile. Making homes more energy efficient benefits property values, neighborhood livability, and keeps older homes relevant longer. Replacing inefficient windows and doors is beneficial in lowering your energy cost and consumption, and gives you more control of your comfort and pocketbook.
When Andersen Corporation founded Renewal by Andersen, it wasn’t creating the first window replacement company. To succeed, we had to become the first to redefine the industry by bringing the latest energy and material technology to homeowners looking for a start-to-finish window replacement service. Today, we bring contemporary, high quality windows and doors to our nation’s existing housing stock from coast to coast.
2. Indoor Air Quality – Certified to meet the strictest indoor air emission standard in the United States.
- Renewal by Andersen and its parent company, Andersen Corporation, are the only window companies to receive the Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) Indoor AdvantageTM Gold certification. This certification is the strictest indoor air emission standard in the United States and meets the California Section 01350 Specifications.
Poor indoor air quality is one of the top 5 health hazards in America.* Most of us spend 90% of our lives indoors where toxins can enter the air through off-gassing: a process where toxins are released through evaporation from building materials. Some products continue this evaporation for years after their installation which means you continue to breathe these chemicals night and day. Choosing responsibly manufactured products is good for everyone. Fresh air should be all you breathe after replacing your windows.
“Indoor Advantage” is a trademark of Scientific Certification Systems.
* Source: www.epa.gov – United States Environmental Protection Agency.
3. Smart Use of Materials – Leadership in reclaiming and reusing materials
Fibrex® Composite Material Frames
- Renewal by Andersen® windows have achieved the highest SCS certified recycled content of any window replacement company.
High-PerformanceTM Low-E4® Glass
- High-PerformanceTM Low-E4® glass is made from a minimum of 12% reclaimed glass by weight.
Standard on all Renewal by Andersen windows, High-Performance Low-E4 glass features an innovative coating that, when activated by sunlight, helps reduce water spots up to 99%,** making your view better and cleaning easier. What’s more, our glass helps block harmful UV rays entering your home and cuts down on noise pollution by reducing sound penetration.
Renewal by Andersen and its parent company, Andersen Corporation, were the first window manufacturers to receive Green Seal certification for Environmental Stewardship. Green Seal estimates that if all windows in the U.S. were as energy efficient as those made by Andersen Windows, Americans would save up to 2.5 percent of the annual U.S. energy consumption—an estimated 200 gallons of oil for every household in the U.S.
* See the Renewal by Andersen 20/2/10 limited warranty for details.
** Exterior only, when activated by sunlight.
4. Smart Use of Energy
- Renewal by Andersen® window replacement can save you up to 25% on your energy bills.*
In August 2008, the Energy Information Agency (EIA) predicted a dramatic 36% increase in home heating oil and a 23% increase in natural gas prices. Windows can play a large role in a home’s annual heating budget. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy estimates that windows can account for as much as 40% of your annual heating and cooling costs.
Our windows are 14% more energy efficient than the stringent ENERGY STAR® criteria in all areas of the country. In addition, our newest glass option, SmartSun™ glass, is our most energy efficient glass ever. SmartSun glass is 70% more efficient in summer and 45% more energy efficient in winter than ordinary dual pane glass.**
5. Long Product Lifecycles
- Renewal by Andersen products have a long life-cycle, backed-up by one of the strongest warranties† you will ever find.
Construction waste is a major source of landfill waste in the United States. Every day, Renewal by Andersen replaces windows in homes that are less than 10 years old. Choosing products that are built to last is one of the most important ways to limit landfill waste.
Former Andersen President, Fred C. Andersen, said it in the 1930’s and it’s true today: “Only the rich can afford poor windows.” Fred knew that the higher cost of energy consumption and the unsatisfactory performance of poor quality windows would be a continual expense over time, whereas quality windows helped pay for themselves in energy saved, comfort and convenience. With today’s energy prices, Fred’s words couldn’t be truer.
* A study of identical homes comparing Low-E glass to ordinary dual-pane glass showed a 25% savings on cooling
bills, 10% on heating. Savings may vary geographically.
** Values are based on comparison of Renewal by Andersen® double-hung insert window SHGC to the SHGC for
clear glass non-metal frame default values from the 2006 International Energy Conservation Code.
† See 20/2/10 Limited Warranty for details.
The Andersen History of Sustainability
Andersen Corporation has long understood the responsibility of reducing our impact on the environment. For over a century, sustainability has been a part of who we are. Learn more about Andersen’s sustainability initiatives.